Friday, June 10, 2011

Wilson's Wildlife Preserve


Woke up to constant banging;  Went into the office to find the annoying culprit was a male Oriole puffed up and fighting his dastardly self in the window glass.  His sweetheart, the female Oriole was sitting in the walnut tree, laughing.   I shuffled back through the house to go out and put the shades down, only to see Bundaberg, our big Tom skulk around the side of the veranda and chase off my morning guest.
Just as I was getting dressed and sorting out the day, Dad called, oh hey, there’s a LARGE cat…no make that a Cougar in the Cherries.  Would I mind terribly coming right up?  Seems the critter’s eating a Peacock.  Spent the morning with my sister and the neighbor stalking (felt like we were being stalked) a kitty that’s responsible for taking a young Deer down in front of my sisters, scarring up a few of the neighbors Horses (taste sweet they tell me) and dining royally on several of our Peacocks.   I found several unhappy remains above the spring.
The house in Middle Earth has several huge old walnuts, one of which is housing a big mama Red Tail Hawk and her chicks.  When I finished up with my work in the Cherries I drove back past in time to see the mama Red Tail Hawk dropping a Pack Rat(?)into the nest.  Pretty cool watching her fly overhead with furry stuff in her talons. 
Bailed out at the Iris Garden to help a nice couple from Lewiston dig a rhizome for their collection and got buzzed by a Humming Bird dipping into the wild roses…which reminds me I must tell the guys to be careful when they thin around the Jonny’s.  I mowed around a mama Quail’s nest yesterday that had 8 eggs all nestled down under the tree row in the shade.  I gave her as much space as I could, I don’t want anyone accidently stepping on the eggs, they should hatch out soon.
Chased that stupid 3-point Buck out of the apples again yesterday.  Jerry just told me he was up mowing his back lawn for him last night.  I guess, maybe we can eat the tree wrecker this fall and I won’t feel so bad about all the damage he’s done to the trees…hmpff.
All this after the Mink ate half my flock of chicken two weeks ago.  Of course we solved that little issue.  Day’s only half over, it’s monsooning again and there’s no way I can get the 2-wheel drive in to mow the Apricots now.   That leaves glorious housework….or cooking!  Maybe I’ll bake something….
May you be sustained with enough…the Wilson’s
kw


No comments:

Post a Comment